Tuesday, December 02, 2008

daily writing: a spot of Trott

Anyone who's anyone at all in advertising should be reading the blog of Dave Trott, thinker, advertiser and probable con-artist. Somehow or other everything that appears on his blog is either insightful or mind-blowing. Even when it isn't one of the two it's always incredibly well written and interesting. With a huge load of controversy surrounding a lot of the statement he makes.

I respect Dave Trott's as an advertiser. I don't see how anyone can't, but as a person I'm not so sure.

His latest post is titled "when is it okay to cheat?"

An observant person would notice that the title takes the form of a question. So does he provide an answer? Well, yes.

From my understanding it boils down to 'as long as you don't get caught'.

Now I'm conflicted. Sure the guy has done great work, and is revered in many circles, but it's hard to root for someone who thinks wrongdoing is fine as long as you can get away with it.

Sure "art is what you can get away with", but when art meant anything else other than what it means to the individual?

Maybe he's just defining stealing differently, as a "homage" is very different from "thieving", at least in my book.

"Hypocrisy of outraged morality"? Perhaps. Dave, perhaps.

Dave Trott, as he reveals more and more of himself to us, is starting to bear a startling resemblance to Cassidy, the Irish vampire. Instantly likable but incredibly hard to root for as time goes on.

Do I think he's right? I'm not sure. I don't think stealing is right. I think using elements from someone else's work to complement your own isn't wrong, just bad if someone finds out. "Gorrilla" was 'inspired' by a Canadian ad on youtube.

I do agree that getting caught is stupid, and if someone managed to pull a fast one under my nose I'll probably be impressed before I get angry.

But as Alan Fletcher pointed out: "1+1=3", meaning that something new will often arise with the sum of two old things.

I'm 22, unemployed, and probably stupid. So I'll settle on "It's okay to steal as long what you created was more than the sum of it's stolen parts".

No comments:

Post a Comment