Tuesday, December 02, 2008

daily writing: rants

The only other thing I need to feel Like Spider Jerusalem right now is a bald head and looks that kill, not because I'm pretty.

They say boredom kills. Whoever they are, I will do nothing to refute that statement. One year ago I thought all I wanted to do was to write great ads, win countless ad awards and work long, exhausting underpaid hours in the ad industry.

I still do, to some extent, but like everything else I've wanted to achieve, life gets in the way.Not my life, but the life everyone else is living. What do you do when nothing goes according to plan? When everything you do turns out out be a dud and nothing seems to make any sense?

Answer? Blog. Write and write and write. Vent your heart out and pour every single drop of blood, sweat and tears into this measly little text box that publishes this block of text into the great, insane world known as the internet. Every turn leads to a dead end, and a man can only take so many dead ends before breaks down and starts blogging about it. Some people wash it down with whiskey, some with beer, others with cigarettes, I do all three, all the while making sure I spell each word right and that every line of meaningless blabber is as interesting to read as possible. I like to write. Writing on a tobacco and alcohol fix is even better. It's not as good as an underpaid job, because at least you know something is going IN to your bank account, but it's good all the same. Keeps me sane, but not sane enough not to blog.

I've wanted to write for a living for quite some time, but now I'm asked to think for a living, which wouldn't be so bad, because thinking is fun too, but whats not so fun is to be asked how to think in order to make a living. It's almost like brain-washing. All these books and courses on how to be successful in the modern marketplace are effectively books on how you should think or act in society in order to make money. Which isn't bad, just frustrating.

There are numerous people who can get by or even get rich by doing what they love doing. Filthy rich even. Perhaps one can only get rich by doing what he loves. Every book I've read seems to support this ideal. Making sure you don;t fall out of love is the real challenge perhaps. I love writing, and I love doing up ads with a partner, the latter is hard because finding a partner is hard. Doing ads alone is not just hard-work. It's downright torture for me. Writing is relatively easy. Good writing is another story, But I haven't fallen out of love with it just yet.

Just as a writer needs an editor, a copywriter needs an art director. Good editors are hard to find, and so are good art directors. I hope I find one soon.

Opportunity is just as important as hard work.

Putting in hours in equally as important.

Bananas are yellow and they taste nice.

Pyramids are pyramids in shape.

Dinosaurs are majestic and sad.

Maybe the whole point of life is to drive you insane and your job is to fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment