Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chelsea 2 Cluj 1

I arrived an hour early. The tube, as usual, was packed. It wasn't until I got off the train that I realized almost everyone on that train was heading for Stamford Bridge. 6pm and dark, everyone seemed to be wondering around aimlessly. Already Chelsea was accumulating quite a crowd. Some were snacking on hotdogs, others smoking, with the color blue uniting everyone under one banner. Even the refreshment stands were blue for crying out loud.

I spent the extra time touring the place. Since it was my first time at a club stadium, I gazed at everything with wonder, constantly starstruck everywhere I go. Huge portraits of stars, of today and yesteryear adorned the wall of the stadium. Names I've read about in books and referenced on shows. I was told all Chelsea fans cared about were results, I was painted a picture of heartless, number-crunching accountants who cheered when the applause sign went on. From this angle, that statement hardly holds water.

I meandered around for a good thirty minutes, before deciding that I can't be at a football game and not be seen buying a burger or a hot dog. It wouldn't feel right, both to me and others around me. So I got a burger and a hot dog. And a drink. Purely for the sake of that. My wallet wasn't thinking that night you see.

Going in, being ushered to my seat and I waited. Again I felt I had to be early. Golly I wouldn't want to miss a minute of it. I thought. I waited another half hour. Songs started playing, and before long the announcer came on. "Chelsea needs to WIN!" he said. Announcing first the eleven challengers taking on the home team today, every name was met with boos and jeers from the crowd, despite the announcer's speech about racism merely minutes before.

Oh what the hell. This isn't the place for political correctness I thought. Then it was time for the Home team's lineup to be announced. Before this I never thought much about the "home" and "away" factor, but man, I'm never making that mistake again. When Joe Cole, Drogba and Cech's name came up, the crowd went wild. Like a slap to the face, tonight was my rude awakening. What a difference it made!

The match was as exciting as a match like this can get, which is to say, very. It was packed to the brim, and people were chanting cheers and songs long before it was kick-off. I realized early on this felt a lot like going to church. A lot of people I don't know, with a lot of songs I don't know. Unlike church, there were no hymn books to follow to, but I handled myself quite finely, I might add. The first half was rather uneventful, we were not playing particularly well, handing them chances and thanking God they never capitalized. But then everything changed around the 40 minute mark. The opening goal was scored by one Kalou. And seeing it coming was met with an enormous satisfaction for my part.

Half-time. Bathroom breaks, hot dogs, pies, sodas, but none for me. I've had my fill. The place was WAY too crowded to do anything else but watch the highlights on tv screens anyway.

The 2nd half started with an equalizing goal from Cluj. Ten minutes in, it wasn't pretty. It was at this time I realized there the seats above us, the ones you need stairs and 20 meters to get to were filled with visitors from Romania. As soon as the ball hit the net, a taunting battle ensued between the two sides. That of course, came to an end when Drogba was switched in for Kalou, 1st half goal scorer. The crowd gave it up for Chelsea's star player, and it didn't take him long to perform either. Six minutes into the game, Chelsea supporters cheered for his goal, nudging Chelsea ahead with two goals to one. Then it was a few yellow cards, before everyone headed home, Chelsea fans especially pleased.

And we won, 2, 1. It was great. And I went home, queuing up along with hundreds of others for the tube, and finishing "Hey Whipple" on the way back. Feeling satisfied, and knowing I'll have something to brag about in front of Daniel the next time I see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment