Sunday, December 14, 2008

daily writing: FInal Fantasy

I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. Despite all the grieving I've given it with it's overly complicated plots, underdeveloped characters, mindless grind-centric sub-quests and overproduced cutscenes, I've played each game released to date at least once, and I look forward to each new game with anticipation. I was a VII fanboy for quite some time. The Aries death scene is permanently burned into my retina, and I can hum most of the music featured in the game. I spent hours lurking in online messageboards, trying out every dodgy tip to revive Aries, and squealed in horror when I found out she wasn't meant to live after all. Sephiroth was one of my favourite villain ever, and I cheered for joy when I beat him in both Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

It's one of the reasons I find this article such an interesting read. An article comparing the Final Fantasy series with Battleships and model-making? Oh I am so there.

The escapist columns usually bore me to death. Musings that aren't really interesting, somewhat overwritten, and devoid of soul. I've not read one for ages, but this one I seem to connect with. He makes some good points, and while I don't agree with him completely, I can definitely see where he's coming from.

If nothing else, at least I learned abit about Battleships and the Japanese need for completionism.

No comments:

Post a Comment