Friday, September 30, 2005

Glitz

Great, great day, although it's 3am and I'm still not feeling sleepy, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

Glitz.

Every year it seems, our college holds a sort of talent-singing-dancing competition.

Glitz.

Tons of students sign up...ok not tons, but still quite alot. Four or 5 categories in total, and the winner of each category gets 500 bucks, except for the band category, which gets 1000.

Glitz.

One of my friends managed to pass the preliminaries(unlike me) and went on to the finals. Which ended [about]2 hours ago. Congrats to her for getting third place. The entire event lasted for about 5 hours, from 8pm. For 10 bucks.

Glitz.

However you look at it, 10 bucks, for 4 or 5 hours worth of music.... not a bad deal. AT ALL. pity to all the people who didn't want to go. As is the case with events such as this, there will be lousy performances, even embarassing ones, but there were WAY alot more good to outweigh the bad. The bands were good but I only managed to catch a few of them because of my role as the driver for the day. Dinner. Or Lunch, my friends wanted to have. I did manage to catch a pretty good rendition of Sova's Biarkan aku, an indon song, which rocks, and also a pretty bad cover of Aeroplane, RHCP. For me though, the highlight of the night has to be when a bald girl called nicole and some other guy did an absolutely FANTASTIC cover of The Rolling Stones - I can't get no satisfaction. There were a few performances which I thought deserved a standing ovation. True enough, this one more than desreved it. By the time they were finished I could say almost half of the people in the hall was on thei feet, giving their wildest applause. One girl, one guitar, one fucking amazing song. And truere still, they went on to win the first in their category, which was duets.

Interesting facts for the night....

One girl did this belly dancing thing and actually danced off stged to the front of the judges. I shouted CHEEBAI at the top of my my lungs. Daniel had nothing to say about it.

Interesting cultural performances of the night. Iranian music. Dance, play, drama, performance art. Whatever. Although I've heard enough Iranian music to last me a long time at the Rainforest World Music Festival some time back, this one still came as an interesting show as the performers incorporated all of the above triats(Dance, play, drama, performance art. Whatever) into their.......performance. They were filed under dance group though. Even though they only had one dancer and the other two were playing a sitar and a.....dath i think.

The emcees sucked. Ass. Badly. There was this bald guy. Persian, or Iranian, I think. Annoying voice and accent. Agrees with anything anybody says and likes everything everybody performs. Punch imminent.
"Do you know Kris Dayanti?" asked one of the performers.
"Oh yeah sure I do.. I Love them"

rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhht.

Asshole.

Buit then again he was just doing his job..... or trying to look cool. Or something.
Bah.
Still wanna punch him.

Met Rina there. Not really surprised to see her there, but still feel glad as I managed to get her number, which I lost, along with my phone 2 days ago.

In closing.... a VERY inspiring and happy night. (I spent the rest of the day photo shooting and playing indigo prophecy on my ps2. note: gotta write about it next time.)NO regrets at all.... well maybe a little bit when i walked out during the bands. But If there's such a thing as glitz next year, I'll make sure to be there. OH.. and I'll try to make it past the auditions next time. :)

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment