Saturday, December 01, 2007

Western Influences in Eastern Entertainment targetted at western audiences.

Few things get me off as much as work of Japanese content creators who are heavily influenced by western media.

case in point, Suda 51 and Hideo Kojima.

Goiichi Suda, or Suda 51. Modern surrealist with the slogan "Let's Punk". His work often embodies cryptic visual symbolism carrying heavy political messages, often cited as glowing examples whenever an argument about games as art surfaces.

Killer7
Awesome playstation2 game I played a while back.


花と太陽と雨と
sun flower rain.
interesting playstation2 game no one played.


No More Heroes.
Wii game I'll play as soon as I get the chance.
Voice acting-wise I think it's a notch below Killer7, but I'll have to withold judgment.


Hideo Kojima. Mr. Metal Gear. Famous for crafting spy-stories that are culturally relevant to their time, featuring bizzare and often plan weird images and themes, oh, and also Grade-A movie directing skills that probably would rival some of Hollywood's best.

Metal Gear Solid. MGS.


Metal Gear Solid 2. Personal favourite. Of the MGS series that is.


Snatcher.
An earlier project of his that has less 3D and visual flair, but still hits heavy narratively. Frequently tops "best games of all time" list of those who played it.

Suda 51 recently announced plans to revive this series. Rejoice.

Policenauts.
Super rare japan only visual novel touted as "the next generation of snatcher". Probably the least played Kojima game. But rejoice, an english patch is due out soon. I have no clue what the story is about and I do not intend to find out until I play it. Soon. Real soon.


MGS4. Coming soon on a console nobody can afford.

Still culturally relevant, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment