Saturday, December 01, 2007

A link to a formal analysis of Metal Gear Solid 2.

I played MGS2 a while back. I liked it immensely, but couldn't make much sense of it. The structural organization of the game echoed much of it's predecessor, the pacing was superb and everything felt vaguely familiar. When I finished it I knew Kojima had created something that transcended the banalities of the videogame medium. I just couldn't put my finger on what. It took me 3 play-throughs and 2 MA-worthy essays before I finally GOT-IT. I had no idea why Kojima would do something so far out of the comprehension of most of it's target audience. But kudos. Kudos for staying through to his artistic vision. Kudos for creating a masterpiece.

This post, and this link, is for people like me. Who played MGS2 and didn't get it until 6 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment