Thursday, February 23, 2006

The obligatory emo post

I am bored and therefore I am writing another post on things I am pleased/not pleased about in school.

My design research lecturer is an uber geek. Well not geek as in glasses Yu-gi-oh playing lame geek, but as in cool, pseudo intellectual talk alot kinda geek, the geek whom every other geek looks up to -the el337-. Evidence, lecture this morning started with semiotics, jumped over to the "paradigms of the Matrix trilogy"(don't ask me) and ended with a rather digressive arguement about design needs and social and cultural subsidaries of palm oil, rubber and whatever the fuck not. And the day before he realted Tunisia with 'the place Episode 4 was shot. '

what? I asked casually.
A new hope, he answered casually.
Right. And from that moment on I knew this was going to be one HELL of a semester.

I am now, too drained of ideas to think of, or to write anything else besides what is now coming into my mind. A block, if you will. I am reminded now of an excellent quote my Idea Genration lecturer used a few days back.

"If you can't think outside the box", said he, "make the box bigger."

A damn fine quote if you ask me. In your face Donald Trump!!

SO what I'm doing now can be described as making the box bigger, but only if i knew how big was the box, and as of writing, no ideas yet.

So yes I'm a slave to education, for now, and I'm also a slave to art and visually interesting elements. The latter probably for the rest of my life, not that it's a BAD thing mind you.

Being a pseudo-artist it's easy to get caught up in arguememnts about art vs design. I'm sick and tired of this debate because it's been going on in my head for too long. It's one of the perils of stepping in to the real world. You realize how shitty everything is and tend to be a cynic. My path as an illustrator doth not shine brightly in front of me, but I do however, see myself going down the path of an artist.

30day artist? I only posted that comment not too long ago and yet now I'm having second thoughts. THis is SO not good for mental development and all that other schtick. I probably won't be able to make art professionally, not in Malaysia at least, but that's what dreams are. Things you know you probably can't achieve, not without divine intervention anyway.

That don't mean I'm not gonna work for this shit. I am. I believe I'm beyond whining and complaining about situations and then not doing anything about it. Time will tell wether I'm right or wrong, but as of now, what I think and feel are of utmost importance, or at least thats how I see it.

Damn, this is getting a little too long. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to start work now. All 3 of you who read this wish me luck yeah.

1 comment:

  1. So at last you choose illustration as your major in this sem 5, isn't it?
    Wonder there are still a proficient lecture that can said that sophisticated quote in LUCT.

    ReplyDelete