Monday, November 14, 2005

Singapore Afterthoughts

There was a design conference going on in Singapore that lasted for three days, took place at Suntec city, and had annoying emcees a few days ago. Although they called it a conference, it actually became more of an exhibition, with artists(not designers, at least not my definition of designers) showing off their works and not really explaining anything. We were kinda like kids looking through the glass of a cotton candy machine.

They called design edge 2005 and it was organized by IDN.

It was pretty good, just that the stupid fatass hip hop emcee ruined the whole thing.

some designers/artists i find interesesting/cool.

Mode2.

London Based Grafitti artist. Used to do alot of pencil and ink work befoire he got into graffiti. he told us his house got robbed a while back and all his art work was stolen, and that was why he didn't show alot of his old stuff, which is sad. I think I liked his old stuff better though.

Delta.

Netherlands based artist. Mostly works in abstracted geometric shapes. Very distinctive style, and abstracts words and letters so much that nobody will know what's ging on in his art work, but as with all good art work, that does not make it less interesting to look at.

Rostarr.
ABC with mad skillz. His style is very spontaneous and he uses alot of improvisation in his work, which looks amazing, and he waws kind enough to sign my sketchbook twicw, although I dont think he remembers la. :)

Designer's Republic.
I think this would be the only legit designers at the conference, the rest of them were mostly artists as far as I can tell. These guys are pretty fuckin amazing. They've done gigs for a shitload of clients, including videogame companies like capcom. I eyed I Killer7 Postcard or something and went gaga over it. They also did alot of cd covers for independant bands. Interesting bunch of guys.

UVA
These guys are also pretty cool. they do motion graphics stuff. IT and design stuffz that I dont really know how to explain. It involves generating images in real time using custom programs. Well, not images but rather collages of useless information that when juxtaposed side by side will look and sound really deep, and therefore, be cool.As I remember one fo their biggest lients was Massive Ak, they did the background screen for the band's live tour, which is wicked cool.

Yeah.

So even if the conference was a letdown, it was still solid and was definitely an eyeopening experience. I'd say I learned quite a few things there. However... if the emcee's are like that again next year, then Im saving my money for a different conference.

1 comment:

  1. i almost went for that, had a free ticket, but no free time.

    ReplyDelete