Tuesday, October 09, 2007

buying music online


Ah, the joys of capitalist consumerism.

I just purchased Radiohead's new album online.

If you haven't been keeping up( like me ). Heres the story.

Sometime in the past, Radiohead's contract with their previous recording label expired. Being the fine, intelligent chaps they are they opted not to renew it or sign another contract, instead, they decided to operate as free agent musicians, selling their music through the internet directly to the public. Cutting out the evil middleman known as the recording label.

What's special about this is that they are allowing consumers to pay whatever they want for the album. So i paid GBP 1.45 for it. 45p is for the credit card wrangling fee or something, where as the one pound is for the music itself. Pretty good deal if you ask me. You could pay just 45p for it, which is the minimum charge, if that is what you wish, me? My conscience was nagging.

Yeah, apparently it's been done before by some other band, but this IS Radiohaead we're talking. Currently one of the biggest band in the world.

SO yeah, this is massive.

It feels surprisingly good to buy something and pay whatever you want for it. It gives you a sense of satisfaction for some reason, and it feels great cause you KNOW you're not being ripped off. I must say this is the happiest purchase I've ever made in my life.

Radiohead giving away free music, Nine Inch Nails going independent....

The music world is in for some serious awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment