Monday, December 26, 2005

Rich kid.

I was watching the projected astro commercial at my workplace a few hours ago, the astro commercial was on, the one that advertises about the astro scholarship. It shows several students that obtained said scholarship in artistically taken still shots and stuff, and a number of them were studying art related stuff, performace arts, fine art, and things like that.

I told my friend, " I wanna do that lor." as I pointed at the girl taking bachelor of arts.

And then he said.

"Oi, bastard, don't steal people's chances la, scholarship for poor people la... rich people like you dont need one."


And then later that night after we all got off work I asked some of my senior co-workers for a drink, since they all had treated me a few times before, I thought I'd repay the favour.

Cut things short, we all ordered drinks and chit-chatted, when it was time to pay, I said, " aih, no money dy la." As I was really on a tight budget and my wallet was really almost empty.

Everyone's drinks cost 7.60 and I had 8 bucks.

Lucky me. Or rather silly me for not checking my wallet before opening my big mouth.

Anyway. After I said what I just said, my friend beside me was like "tipu punya, budak kaya budak kaya."

I have a problem wih being labeled a rich kid. The phrase itself conjures up images of spoilt brats flunking their money here and there like their wallet no bottom one. I realize it's just a label, but just as the backstreet boys don't like to be called a "boyband", I don't think that anyone wants to be called a "rich kid". Or a poor kid. Or any sort of labels for that matter. Labels suck. Being called something other than you own name sucks. Labels serve nothing more than to elevate a person's standard or degrade it above or below the social norm.

It alienates you from normal people. For instance. "Genius Adam" "Everybody loves Peter" or "the dumbest blonde in the world, Jessica Simpson". The former two may sound like good things to be called, but really, trust me when I say it isn't.

Personally, I wouldn't say I'm rich, I was just born into a family slightly more well off than some people. Saying that I'm rich and should not go for a scholarship makes my blood boil not only because it isn't true, but also because it's like using money as a means to evaluate a person's standard.

I don't like it.

In fact, I hate it.

The concept of currency has bought the world much good, but it has also bought with it much evil.

I'd like to think that my parents wanted me to get the best education, the best environment for stuyding, the best clothes,etc etc.

So they work their fuckin ASS off to provide me with that, I realize and acknowledge that they're fulfilling their responsibility as parents, and I believe I'm fulfilling MY duties by not asking too much of them.

But being born into a slightly more well off family than some people does not mean anything.

Corny and cheesy it may sound, but I believe it's what inside that counts.

He also told me that it's considered personal to ask a guy how much salary he earns a month. To that I told him it's only personal if you use money to measure a person's worth. Which to me is bullshit. A person can be the wealthiest guy in the world and still be the shittiest bastard you've ever met.

There's this story where a village was in need of a worship statue, and therefore gathered everybody to donate their extra metal objects to make the statue, those that donated the most metal were the rich people and aristrocrats. But no matter how strongly the fore burned the metal objects just would not let itself be melted.

Then along came this beggar, who donated only a coin , and soon after the coin was added into the pile of metal all the objects melted and a new, beautiful statue awas made out of it.

The story ended with an explantion that said the objects would't melt because the metal objects donated by the rich people and aristrocrats were filled with greed and material desires, while the coin donated by the beggar was given purely out of the spirit of charity and thats why the pile of metal melted when the coin was added to it.

Long, boring story, but my favourite fabel ever since I was kid. In closing, I just wish there were less idiots in the world that care only about money-makin'. I won't stop my wishful thinking, cause dreams are the stuff that make a person. Wether you believe it or not.

1 comment:

  1. 1. lables suck agreed
    2. money doesn't suck
    3. money actually does reveal a person's worth, to an extent... how much a person has, is how much value he has given, in some form or other.

    I was young and ideallistic once. Haha, i still am.. but these days I need money to bring about ideal changes...

    lables suck.
    but as an artist, try to find a good way to think about money...

    ps: your blog is growing with you, nice.

    ReplyDelete