Thursday, July 05, 2007

Being a vegetarian is pointless.

Vegetarianism irks me. I don't oppose against it the way I'm opposed against fundamentalism, but enough people around me do it to spur my thoughts into the "why" of it all.

There seem to be many reasons for going vegan or whatever, or at least that's how people would like you to believe. I think all those reasons can be categorized under 2 umbrella motives. For health, and for compassion.

If one does it for health, I can understand. Not because that it actually makes you healthier (it probably doesn't) but ultimately one's health is directly related to how good one feels about oneself's life. If consuming nothing but plant-based products make you feel good about yourself, by all means. I'm all for more happiness and peace and lovin' yo.

Then there's those who do it out of compassion. It is their point of view that killing another animal for food is barbaric, cruel, and unnecessary. Consuming plant life is much more acceptable because they feel no pain.

I find this argument to be staunted, weak and unconvincing. The whole thing works on the assumption that suffering can be measured. Which I think is complete bollocks. Who's to say plants don't feel pain when you amputate them? I remember a shirt story once back in high school. In it, a professor dude invents a machine that allows him to hear sounds outside our normal hearing spectrum. He discovers that when plants are hurt, eg cut, pulled, chop, they emit a high pitch sounding noise akin to a song of the siren. It makes for some adequate fiction reading, and excite the imagination.

I presented this case to my girlfriend, who is a vegetarian by religion, and by extension, compassion. I argued that it is just as cruel to eat veggies because they're organisms as well. The fact that they can't express pain does not make the act less cruel. To which she replied - the regeneration rate of plants far exceed those of animals, thus relieving them one of their organs would not do them any harm.

This argument, is once again, to put it bluntly, utter nonsense. Suppose we were to consume animals the way she described us consuming veggies. We cut a portion of their skin periodically to eat, let it grow back, and repeat. I'd say this is even worse than the former. It borders on torture and is, in my opinion, a form of slavery. Of course, we mostly DON'T consume plants, or anything else for that matter, like that.

What I hate most are vegetarians who use their habit as a way to exert their superior sense of moral judgment over others. I think it is childish, stupid, and misinformed. Eating an apple is akin to eating a baby calf. Eating veggies is no different than eating meat. The only difference is how it makes you feel. If you feel good about yourself jolly ho. I admire and salute you. But I hope you don't feel superior about it.

Realize it's no difference. It's how nature works. It's part of the beauty of life. It's not exactly pretty, but it has an undeniable balance and elegance to it. I stand in awe and wonder of the various nuances and laws of nature, and also how we, as humans have defied it time and time again. It's like we're this emo rebel kid who doesn't get punished cos we keep getting away with it.

I end this with a reminiscent. I asked Janet a while back why she became a vegetarian. I remember her answer to this day. I consider it truthful and honest compared to what I've heard from others. She said she became a vegetarian because she could relate to animals running around in the field. Yet there are many living things she can't relate to(plants, mussels etc) , and thats why she has no qualms about taking them as source. She's honest about it, and I might not agree with it, it comes off as something I can respect.

I wonder how many people I've offended with this article. Ima go ping it now.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:32 am

    I find this article rather amusing as when I was much younger (17, I am now 27) I used the same argument!

    You seem to think that if we can't measure plants' pain, it is morally wrong to consume it because it could exist. And thus, it is equally as bad as causing animals pain.

    I realised later it is flawed because of the amount of evidence supporting the existence of suffering of animals when measuring brain activity and comparing it with human brain activity in situations of stress, anxiety etc. Also, there are evolutionary causes for pain in animals (it stops them from allowing themselves to break limbs, be eaten alive etc.) there appears no benefit to plants experiencing pain (as it can't prevent dangerous act from the plant). Thus, plants having no benefit to survival to experience pain, would be highly unlikely to feel pain.

    I was a vegetarian for 1 to 2 years because of the brutal life animals in factory farms endure and the negative environmental impact caused by these farms and also over fishing. I later realised that ultimately my choice helped no one. It is really up to governments to enforce ethical legislation as I alone make no difference. I'm not holding my breath though, as the world is fucked anyway and will probably not support life in 100 years thanks to humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:04 am

    Insects have been proven to be unable to feel pain, but fish/cows/pigs etc have been proven to feel pain. If insects don't feel pain, neither do plants. Wow. I don't care what people eat, everyone I know eats meat including my husband. But this is the worst argument against vegetarianism I've ever heard. I think the right argument you are looking for is vegetarians still consume animal products (dairy cows produce calves that become meat). Eating meat AND being vegan make sense to me from a moral standpoint (depending on what you think is morally okay), but vegetarianism doesnt make much sense (morally).
    I am vegan because I personally don't feel okay with eating animals, but the majority of people do eat meat and I'm not looking to change that. It's just that when I think about where animal products come from, it makes me the opposite of hungry haha.
    I agree that humans are "meant" to be omnivores. But if I decide to be a herbivore and I can do it healthily, what's wrong with that?
    I don't feel morally superior; if I did, I would be pretty stuck up since everyone I know eats meat. I don't think one side or the other has to prove why they eat what they eat. I'm happy eating the way I do, but I try to avoid telling others I am vegan. I'm tired of being questioned about why I don't eat meat, just to have the person tell me I'm not getting enough protein or that I NEED cow's milk to survive. No, you aren't my doctor haha.
    I wonder why you feel the need to "present a case" to your girlfriend and put down her food choices? If she was trying to make you give up meat I would understand, but it sounds more like you are trying to prove that your way of eating is better.

    ReplyDelete